Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sloppy Joes!!

Since I've moved to NYC I've always kept an eye out for sloppy joes. I had one at this place and they tried to fancy it up too much. I'm looking for old school cafeteria type sloppy joes. No fancy vegis or seasonings or wraps. Good old tomato sauce and ground meat on a cheap hamburger bun. Maaaybe, some variation in the sauce. But, its important to have the same consistency. It's been years. Finally, my girlfriend and I just decided to pick up some Manwich and some ground beef and make our own. Bought some cheap hamburger buns. Just make sure they're not expired. BAM!! Sloppy joes! MmMmmm, just like I likes em. So sloppy you can't eat it like a sandwich. It takes a fork to eat these if you don't want to wear it. The cheap buns soak up the extra sauce. Best and most important thing, the sauce is not watery. As you can see, the sauce is thick. We threw in some fries for good measure. Awesome!!! Now I just have to find that cafeteria spagetti...

1 comment:

Joy said...

This reminds me of when I was 5 (I'm 13) Mom didn't want to get the sloppy joe mix in the store. So we made our own, (this was in Virginia) and had them just like that. When we were eating our sloppy joes we would have to wear smocks because we didn't know how to eat them properly. My Mom tried to show us but we didn't listen to her... and by the way my Mom is from Staten Island, New York (is that how you spell it?) Anyway just wanted to share that, maybe you can make your own version... Sell it on ebay... (lol)